It is getting colder and darker every day now and my taste buds call for hearty and spicy food. I had planed to cook fajitas this weekend and just needed to add a few things to my shopping list to prepare a nice starter soup.
As I bought a big steak for the fajita, I decided to keep the soup meat free. The potatoes and beans make it rich anyway. I generally don’t use floury potatoes but in this recipe I think they work really well. They help to thicken the soup and make it even richer.
Cumin and chopped coriander give a kick to the soup. When the onions and garlic are nicely fried and you add the freshly ground cumin, the smell in your kitchen is amazing and give you an idea how the soup will taste like.
If you want to turn this soup into a main course, just add mince meat or chorizo to it. If you don’t eat meat, try some quesadillas with it.
Level: Easy | Time: 40 minutes | serves 6
3 TS of Olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finally chopped
2 medium-sized potatoes (floury), sliced in small pieces
1 green pepper, sliced in small pieces
1 can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can of chopped tomatoes
500 ml of beef stock (or vegetable stock)
2 dried red chillies
Salt and Pepper
3 TS of ground cumin (If you can, use whole cumin seeds and grind them with the Pestle and Mortar. The smell is just amazing!)
Fresh coriander, tomatoes and spring onion for a small salad
- Heat 3 TS of olive oil in a medium-sized pot and fry the onion on a low heat until soft. Add the garlic and the spices and keep frying them for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, green pepper and kidney beans to the pot and cover with the stock and chopped tomatoes.
- Add the dried chillies and a little extra salt if necessary.
- Cook for about 20 minutes on a medium heat. Don’t cover the pot completely, allowing some of the juices to evaporate and the soup to thicken.
- Take the soup of the heat and taste it. Add Salt and Pepper if necessary and mix in the chopped coriander.
- To serve prepare a small salad of chopped spring onions, tomatoes and coriander lightly tossed in a little lime juice.
- Fill the soup into a bowl and garnish with the salad. You can also add some grated cheese if you like.