When I started this blog I was afraid that my husband would start protesting very soon. Don’t get me wrong. He is absolutely fantastic and supports me in every way possible. He proof reads all my posts to make sure you have a chance to understand what I am writing about and compliments my pictures every time.
But eating soup at least twice a week? I was not sure that he would like that idea. Three weeks into my blog project, he has not complaint once, which makes me really happy because he is not the kind of person who would give you a happy face when he doesn’t like the food that he being served.
Nonetheless I decided to add a few meaty soups to my repertoire to keep the smile on his face. As kale is very healthy and widely available at this time of the year, I decided to use it as my main ingredient. I added some smoked bacon, potatoes and veggies and had a great soup in no time.
Level: Easy | Time: 40 minutes | serves 4-6
150 grams of smoked bacon, cut into pieces
3 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cut in cubes
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1-2 stalks of celery, peeled and cut in small pieces
1 leek washed and cut into rings (I use the green part as well but if you don’t like it, just leave it out.)
1 small to medium head of kale, washed and cut into small pieces
(Make sure you give the leek and kale a really good wash. They can be quite sandy. I don’t throw away the tougher pieces of the kale because I like a little crunch to my soup. I just cut them into smaller pieces to make sure everything is done at the same time.)
750 ml of vegetable or chicken stock
Salt and Pepper
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat and fry the bacon. You don’t need any extra butter of oil; the bacon contains enough fat. Cook it for about 10 minutes until most of the fat has cooked out and it is slightly crispy. Take it out of the pan and put it on kitchen paper so that it absorbs some of the fat.
- Put the pan back on the heat and fry the veggies in the rest of the bacon fat for 5 minutes.
- Now transfer everything to a pot and add the stock. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Take the soup off the heat and blend half of the soup till creamy.
- Bring everything back to the pot (bacon, creamy soup, rest of the soup) and cook for another 3-5 minutes and serve in a warm bowl with brown bread.