I hope you had a great Christmas and a very nice New Years party. I spend 2 fantastic weeks travelling around, visiting family and friends. I first went to Prague and enjoyed this fascinating old city for 3 days. I have been in Prague a couple of times through the years and I have to say that it has changed a lot since I last visited it. It has become a real tourist magnet and is a lot livelier than before. During my stay, there was photography exhibition portraying the past 60 years of Prague’s history. It was really amazing.
We also enjoyed lots of hearty food and could not get enough of the Czech beer. I will try to reproduce a few of the nicest recipes in the next couple of weeks.
But for an easy start and because I really need some light food, the first soup recipe this year is a super easy, super yummy pea soup.
Level: Easy | Time: 30 minutes | serves 4-6
1 knob of butter
1 large onion, peeled and cut into small pieces
1 leek, washed and cut into small rings
450 grams of frozen peas
200 grams of cured ham, cut into pieces
600 ml of vegetable or chicken stock
1 handful of chopped mint leaves
2 TS of crème fraîche or cream cheese
Salt and Pepper
- Heat a knob of butter in a medium-sized pot and add the onions and leek. Cook for 5-10 minutes on a medium heat until soft and translucent but not browned.
- Add the stock and the frozen peas and cook for 10 minutes.
- Take the soup off the heat and blend until creamy and return to the pot.
- Now stir in the crème fraîche and the chopped mint and taste. Add salt and pepper if necessary.
- To serve, ladle the soup in a warm bowl, add some chopped cured ham on top and sprinkle with chopped mint leaves.