This is a family classic. My mum usually prepares the soup a day before we eat it. It is a fantastic hearty and packed with vegetables and lentils healthy on top. If you are a vegetarian or still trying to loose the some xmas pounds, just use lean ham (cooked ham) instead of bacon and sausages.
Level: Easy | Time: 60 minutes | serves 6
1 knob of butter
2 stalks of celery, chopped
3 rashes of smoked, streaky bacon
6 sausages (Frankfurter) cut into pieces
1 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
2 small leeks, washed and cut into rings
2 carrot peeled and cut into small pieces
1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock
Salt and Pepper
- Heat a little butter in a big pot on a medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and bacon and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Now, add all the vegetables and the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and keep cooking the soup on a low heat.
- After 20 minutes add the sausages and turn the heat off.
- Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- If the soup could use a little more taste, try adding a little bit of tomato paste (2 TS) or a splash of vinegar and a little sugar. That helps to bring out the different tastes even more.
- Serve the soup with a sprinkling of parsley.