I rediscovered lentils for me. God, I forgot how lovely they are, especially in soups. My mum used to cook lentil soups quiet often in winter with lots of hearty veggies and meat, and I loved it.
This is an exotic lentil soup version. With cumin, chilli and coriander I added an oriental touch.
شاهية طيبة (Enjoy your meal!)
Level: Easy | Time: 30 minutes | serves 4-6
1 knob of butter
200 grams of red lentil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic
Grated ginger (1 inch piece)
500 grams of peeled carrots
750 mls of vegetable or chicken stock
Salt and Pepper
Chopped coriander leaves
- Heat a knob of butter on medium heat and add the onions, garlic and the ginger. Stir in a table spoon of ground cumin and the chilli flakes.
- Cook for about 5-10 minutes until the onions are soft. Then add the carrots, the lentils and the chicken stock.
- Reduce the heat and cook covered for 15 minutes until the carrots and lentils are soft.
- Take the soup of the heat and transfer to a blender. Blend the soup until smooth and return to the pot.
- If you like the soup a little less thick, add more stock and reheat.
- Stir in the coriander leaves and serve with Nann bread.