I am a big fan of Asian food. It is one of my dreams to spend time in Asia and learn how to cook all those great dishes. The flavours are so amazing and when I shop for ingredients I am like a kid in a toy store. All those exotic spices, herbs and vegetables, the super intense colours and all those things I have never seen before … I absolutely love it!
But I have not cooked many Asian dishes so far. I guess the variety of ingredients has intimidated me as much as it has fascinated me. That’s why I went to the store, bought a few and decided to tackle the Asian flavours starting with a simple soup.
The soup is easy and quick to cook and full of fantastic flavours. I am sure you will enjoy it. I was surprised how easy it was to prepare it and how flexible the sauces and spices can be used. You can play around, adding more lime juice, chilli, soy sauce and chopped leaves until it’s just perfect.
Level: Easy | Time: 30 minutes | serves 2-4
The ingredient list looks quiet long but I am sure that you will find a few things on your kitchen shelves.
100 grams of rice noodles
1-2 chicken breasts cut into pieces
2 carrots cut into pieces (it looks nicer when they are cut at an angle)
Spring onions – separate the green and white parts
1 red chilli and chilli flakes
1 litre of chicken stock
Freshly grated ginger (about 1 inch piece)
1 clove of garlic, grated
2 stalks of lemon grass – Remove outer leaves of the lemon grass and finely slice the tender white part at the base of the stalks. Bruise them in a pestle and mortar before use.
Fresh mint leaves
Fresh coriander leaves
- Prepare all the ingredients before you start. Grate the ginger and garlic, cut the veggies and the chicken, mix the mint, coriander leaves and the finely sliced green part of the spring onions in a separate bowl and get all the other ingredients ready.
- Bring one litre of chicken stock to the boil. Add the garlic, ginger, half of the fresh chilli, the lemon grass, soy and fish sauce (start with 2 TS) and the chilli flakes.
- Heat water in a separate pot and cook the rice noodles according to package instructions.
- Add the carrots and the chicken pieces to the stock and cook for 4-5 minutes. They will not take much time to be cooked.
- Take the pot off the heat. Add the juice of half a lime and check the seasoning. If the taste is a little weak add more soy or fish sauce or lime juice.
- Add the soy sprouts and cover the pot for a few minutes before serving the soup. This will allow the sprouts to get soft and all the flavours to mix together.
- To serve: Place the noodles in the middle of the bowl, ladle the soup on top of it and cover with a good amount of chopped spring onion green, mint and coriander leaves.
- If you want to prepare the soup meat-free, just substitute the chicken with tofu or fish/prawns and use vegetable stock.